How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15176
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother-in-law gave my wife and I a house in Seattle free

This answer was rated:

My mother-in-law gave my wife and I a house in Seattle free and clear. Can I get financing for a portion of it's worth and gift her some money? How much and what are the strings?

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
You may make a gift of money to your mother-in-law and would not be required to report the gift as long as you did not give her more than $14,000.

Robin D :

You and your spouse may give her $14,000 each (total $28,000) before you would need to report the gift.

Robin D :

The $14,000 is the limit anyone may gift in one year without being required to report the gift. As your mother-in-law gifted the property to you then she would need to report that as well if the value was more than the limit.

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had been told in the past she could give us a one time gift for the full value of the house as long as it was not above current market value.

That is not correct. The gift tax laws state that the gift can not be above the yearly limit. That would mean she could give you each $14,000 but any value over that would have to be reported. That does not mean she would pay tax as there is a lifetime limit (a little more than $5mil) that could be used. The reporting is required but tax is not always due.
I do not know who told you that about the value but they are not correct for tax purposes.