Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I recently had a case with IRS in Tax Court that I settled

for about $9500. The...
I recently had a case with IRS in Tax Court that I settled for about $9500. The IRS attorney assured me that IRS would agree to some sort of payment plan. Now the notice to pay has come from IRS, and I am about to contact them to work out the payment schedule. I would like to pay it out in 6 to 12 months. From your experience, do you believe that this will be OK to arrange with them? Any suggestions?
6/2/2013
Richard, Tax Attorney
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Yes, I think it almost certain the IRS will agree to a payment schedule of 6 to 12 months. The IRS has guidelines for installment agreements and will agree to installment agreements of up to 7 years (increased from 5 years recently). Furthermore, since the amount is under $50,000, you should be able to resolve this online at the IRS website.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard, Tax Attorney
Thanks so much for the positive rating and bonus! I appreciate your kindness and the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!
Richard, Tax Attorney

I went on line to arrange for the payment agreement, and the IRS states that with an agreement, that they may file a tax lien. I do not want this to happen. Do you know under what circumstances that they would do that?

Hi there. And, thanks for your follow up. The IRS does reserve the right to do so, but the reality is that for amounts such as yours that can be set up as installment payments online, they generally do not do so as long as you don't go into default. If you want to make sure they don't do so inadvertently, call them directly and talk to an agent so they will make a notation in your file not to do so.
Richard, Tax Attorney
Thank you for the positive rating! :)
And, for the bonus as well! Have a great evening!
Richard, Tax Attorney