Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

An S Corp stockholder/employee will earn 100,000 in wages &

have 50,000 of pass thru...
An S Corp stockholder/employee will earn 100,000 in wages & have 50,000 of pass thru income from the S Corp in 2013. He has a prospective buyer for the S Corp who would pay 25,000,000. Assuming his basis in the S Corp is zero, is it to his benefit to sell by 12/31/2013 or wait until 2014 to sell & recognize this large capital gain?
5/24/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
Anytime an individual can wait until a year with less income the gain would be better.

Customer:

Is the capital gain rate the same in both years based on the detail I provided?

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Thank you for contacting me about your Tax issue. I will work hard to help you understand the issue clearly.

The calendar year of the sale is less important than the time you own the stock of the S-Corporation.

If you sell the stock in the corporation and you owned it for less than a year and a day, the entire gain is taxed as ordinary income.

If, instead, you sell the stock after you have owned it a year and a day or more, the taxation is treated as Long Term Capital Gain, which is significantly lower.

Assuming you have more than a $400K profit on the sale, you will trigger the maximum Federal LT Cap Gain rate of 20%, plus, you will also incur a new special Medicare surtax of 3.8% in addition to the income tax.

Whether the sale occurs in 2013 or 2014 makes no difference.
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent