Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

received e-mail from asia committee on foreign payment and

signed regards XXXXX XXXXX service...
received e-mail from asia committee on foreign payment and signed regards XXXXX XXXXX service about inheritance, can you tell me if this is legal? I'm afraid it is a scan and worried they have info they shouldn't.
5/22/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA : Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.
MyVirtualCPA : How are you today?
MyVirtualCPA : Is this signed the Internal Revenue Service?
MyVirtualCPA : If so, this is not legitimate
MyVirtualCPA : The IRS will never contact you regarding an inheritance
Customer: Thank You Should I take a copy of this to my local IRS office or are they aware of this scam that is going on? Is this random?
MyVirtualCPA : You can take the notice to your local IRS office to let them know, yes and they can check to make sure that your account has not had any strange activity
MyVirtualCPA : It is random, though.
Customer: Can they check right then? This is to important to put on the back burner. If there has been activity will they advise me of what to do and who to contact?
MyVirtualCPA : They can check right then, yes. They will put an alert on your account if they do see anything suspect going on.
MyVirtualCPA : I doubt that there is. These are typically attempts for you to give your personal information
MyVirtualCPA : So, if they had it they wouldn't even write you they would just use your information
MyVirtualCPA : But, better to be safe than sorry
Customer: I will do this right away. Things have been hard enough with my loss now this. Thank you so much for your prompt response. You have helped set my mind at ease some.
MyVirtualCPA : I'm glad I could help
MyVirtualCPA : If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today
Customer: will do