Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

is it true that i were a non resident alien owner of single

member llc in either Oregon...
is it true that i were a non resident alien owner of single member llc in either Oregon, Nevada or Delaware, conducting no business or trade within the US - the llc would be treated as disregarded entity on federal tax purposes - and personally i would not be taxable ?
5/22/2013
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV : Hi and welcome to Just Answer!Yes - that is true - a single member LLC for federal tax purposes is a disregarded entity unless the owner specifically selects it to be treated as a corporation.
LEV : Disregarded - means - it is ignored as a separate taxing entity - and all income and deductions are reported on owner's individual tax return.
LEV : If you are a nonresident alien - you are taxed ONLY on income from US sources. Thus - if you do not have any income from US sources - there is no tax liability.
Customer: means - if i proceed as explained above - all my income is tax-free in the US - i do not have to file any tax return at all ? - i just have to declare this income in my home country / country of residence ?
LEV : If you are a nonresident alien - you are taxed ONLY on income from US sources. Thus - if you do not have any income from US sources - there is no tax liability - and you are not required to file US federal tax return. Your tax liability in your home country or your country of residence - is a separate issue - and is based on local laws.
LEV : There are some complex rules to determine the source of income. You may take a look - page 12 IRS publication 519 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf - Table 2-1. Summary of Source Rules for Income of Nonresident Aliens.
Customer: thanks, XXXXX XXXXX: would this non-tax-liability apply to any state within the US ?
LEV : Each state has its own tax law and regulation - so - that need to be verified. But the general rule - states tax income of their residents and income of nonresidents from sources within the state. Some states have additional tax on LLC's. If the LLC is registered in a specific state - it may be taxed in this state.
Customer: ok - thanks
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor