How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12485
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i need to receive a 40 thousand $ deposit from outside US.

This answer was rated:

i need to receive a 40 thousand $ deposit from outside US. what taxes i\ll have to pay for that?

NPVAdvisor : You will have no taxes, unless it was earned income
NPVAdvisor : Gifts are not taxable to the receiver... only the giver (or the estate, in the case of an inheritance) pays the taxes
NPVAdvisor : If the amount were over $1,000,000 you WOULD have to file an informational form to declare the money (the treasury dept does this for money laundering tracking, etc)
NPVAdvisor : But at the 40,000 there are no taxes to you at all
NPVAdvisor : and no reporting nrequirements
NPVAdvisor : Now, if you were a US citizen or resident alien and you earned that income you would have to pay INCOME taxes
Customer: so why the banks have to declare it to irs?
NPVAdvisor : Patriot act
NPVAdvisor : sine 9-11, any amounts ove 10,000 are reported by the banks
Customer: im a US citizen and if this is inheritance from relative that is not us citizen?
NPVAdvisor : (for the same reason as the indivual, for amounts over 100,000) to track for purposes of money laundering, arms deals, terrorism, etc
Customer: sorry, I'm
NPVAdvisor : Again, the receiver does not pay the gift tax... and if the person giving the gift is not a US citizen they do no have to pay tax either
Customer: thank you
NPVAdvisor : Now, ig the person GIVING the gift were here THAY would have to pay gift taxes....
NPVAdvisor : You are welcome
NPVAdvisor : If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a feedback rating of 3 (OK) or better. That's the only way they will pay us here.
Lane and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thanks much!

If you'd like to use ME again just say "For Lane only" at the beginning of your next question...OR

... just go here: NPVAdvisor

And enter your question in the question box

Thanks again,