How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3726
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. I am an unemployed part time student. A company I worked

This answer was rated:

Hi. I am an unemployed part time student. A company I worked for ten years ago contacted me because it was in litigation. I knew some underlying facts and was asked to be a "fact witness". I was not an "expert witness". Periodically I was asked to look at records and documents. I was paid $125/hr to do this.

I received a 1099 stating that I was being paid as an attorney. I was not retained for legal services, carry no malpractice insurance, and my status as an attorney is "inactive". The IRS gave me an extension of time to file my return.

I know this is taxable but am unsure of the category. I have not paid any tax on this. Should I have paid SS and/or unemployment tax on this. The money was paid to me under my personal social security number. Please advise.
Welcome. THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to help make YOUR life, a little...LESS taxing.

In brief, the IRS will likely see you as an Independent Consultant. Even though your status as an attorney was inactive, you were not an employee. As an Independent Consultant, the company was not obligated to withhold any of the mandatory taxes such as SS, etc. Even though you technically do not consult as a trade or business, it will likely be in your best interest to complete a Form Schedule C, instead of reporting the income as Other Income on Line 21 of the Form 1040. From my experience, the IRS would likely consider this as self employment income rather than other income.

Link to Schedule C/instructions:

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.
Tax.appeal.168 and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Please let me know the total cost for your service. Thanks.
Hello John,

Please clarify. Total cost of our service? If I am not mistaken, this is determined prior to a person asking a question. Honestly, I am not sure what value was selected for this question. Would you like for me to forward your inquiry about the cost to customer service?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So I may rate you please advise the cost. Thanks.

I apologize, but the experts are not privy to the cost value questions. Again, the value is typically determined prior to the customer being able to ask a question. I will forward this inquiry so that they can inform you what the question value is. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.