Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

OVER THE ROAD TRUCK DRIVER - PER DIEM WHAT DETERMINES THE

OVER THE ROAD TRUCK DRIVER...
OVER THE ROAD TRUCK DRIVER - PER DIEM

WHAT DETERMINES THE $59.00 PER DAY? DO YOU HAVE TO BE GONE A FULL DAY OR IS YOUR 1ST. DAY WHEN YOU LEAVE CONSIDERED 3/4 OF A DAY SO YOU CAN ONLY GET $44.50 WHEN YOU LEAVE AND THEN WHEN YOU RETURN DAY IS CONSIDERED 3/4 OF A
DAY SO YOU CAN ONLY GET $44.50 BUT THE DAYS IN BETWEEN YOU WOULD GET $59.00 PER DAY.
5/14/2013
Dave CPA
Dave CPA, Accountant

Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm sorry to here that you are being audited. There are different rules for the day you leave and return and their are actually two methods.

Both methods would leave you with a reduced amount for each day

Method 1: You can claim 3/4 of the standard meal allowance.

Method 2: You can prorate using any method that you consistently apply and that is in accordance with reasonable business practice.

You can reference page 6 of the link below for the details.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf

Please let me know if you have any questions before you rate my answer. A positive rating is what I strive for. Regards Dave
Dave CPA
Dave CPA, Accountant
Dave CPA
Dave CPA
Dave CPA, Accountant