Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

hi, i am british citizen, but now live and have residency greece. i

Customer Question
hi, i am british citizen...
hi, i am british citizen, but now live and have residency greece.

i currently invoice to a norwegian company and pay tax on my income to greece

i have a second contract starting and want to know if its allowed to setup a company in dominican republic and send money from norway to dominican for savings ?

no one here seems to know.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Tax
5/2/2013
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 4 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
As you are resident in Greece your worldwide income will remain taxable to Greece regardless of the payment coming from a company established in DR.

Individuals are taxed on total net income in Greece. This includes income from employment, from business,professional income and investment income.

Transferring your invoicing to a company in the Dominican Republic would not reduce your personal taxation in Greece. I could not even find where the 2 have a tax treaty. You also would open yourself to possible taxation in the DR. A company is resident if it is incorporated under the laws of the Dominican Republic or if its place of effective management is in the Dominican Republic.
Robin D :

I hope this information is helpful as you make your choices.

JACUSTOMER-x0u59jx5- :

Thank you, you mention this:
"A company is resident if it is incorporated under the laws of the Dominican Republic or if its place of effective management is in the Dominican Republic."

I would set this up through a company who specialise in offshore accounts and would make this DR company incorporated under the laws of DR.
So if the company is resident of DR, does this mean i still remain taxable for this income in greece ?

Robin D :

Yes

Robin D :

Unfortunately you would then be taxed in both places.

Robin D :

The company in DR and you in Greece on your personal income from the company

JACUSTOMER-x0u59jx5- :

so i am taxed on money i withdraw from the DR company or the DR company has to pay tax to greece ?

Robin D :

You would be personally taxed in Greece regardless because you are resident there. So any income you receive from that DR company is taxable to you in your resident country. The DR company would pay tax in DR.

JACUSTOMER-x0u59jx5- :

so if i dont withdraw any personal income and just use this account for savings is it ok ?

Robin D :

If the account is in your name it is taxable. Earnings would be deemed back to you. The profits of the company (as long as you are not receiving any sort of income from the company would not be taxable to you. You would need to check into Dominican entities to see if you are required to take compensation (some countries require this). I am not familiar with DR tax rules on this.

Robin D :

I could research butit would take me a little bit.

Robin D :

A quick look at the DR rates is not really beneficial sounding.

Robin D :

There is a 25% rate on corps and then any payments to foreigners is another 25%

Robin D :

Corporations must retain 25% of the dividends paid to shareholders (Art. 308). The amount retained becomes a credit against the income tax of said corporations.

Robin D :

Getting the credit is pretty good but then those dividends would be taxable to you in Greece.

Robin D :

They do required executive compensation be paid

JACUSTOMER-x0u59jx5- :

http://www.dominica-corporations-ibc-incorporate-in-dominica.offshore-companies.co.uk/, it says "Dominica IBCs are exempt from all taxes for a minimum of twenty years." is this correct or are the making a misleading statement

Robin D :

So you would not really get around having to pay yourself some compensation. This would mean

Robin D :

I would have to look deeper as I advised I am not a DR expert and as they do not have a tax treaty with any countries I have dealt with it is possible.,

JACUSTOMER-x0u59jx5- :

ok thanks robin, what do i need to do to get more help on this ?

Robin D :

I can continue to check. You know that site you sent me is on Commonwealth of Dominica not the Dominican Republic

Robin D :

You can contact the site

JACUSTOMER-x0u59jx5- :

sorry this is what imeant to describe to you

JACUSTOMER-x0u59jx5- :

i have but im not sure i trust them, on one hand i have people in greece telling me what you say, and on the other hand people in the uk saying this is possible

JACUSTOMER-x0u59jx5- :

so i need to know for sure if this is legal

Robin D :

Any thing is possible

Robin D :

I too do not believe you have no tax in Greece

Robin D :

Robin D :

Again legal would be one thing as long as you still declare your income in your resident country

Robin D :

I do not see how you can get around this

Robin D :

I am happy(for me) and unhappy(for you) that others have advised as I have.

JACUSTOMER-x0u59jx5- :

yes i just am looking for a 100% answer on this as the savings are a big difference and the penaltys if wrong could be disastrous

Robin D :

I understand

Robin D :

Greece just recently decided to step up it's investigation of offshore

Robin D :

entities

Robin D :

You would be deemed to have a registering requirement in greece for the offshore company becaus eyou are going to be doing the business in Greece.

Robin D :

I would advise no, if you were my client.

Robin D :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

If you could also participate in the very short survey that Just Answer will send you by e-mail I would appreciate that very much.
I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4