Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What is the longest the IRS can hold your refund without offering

a challenge?...
What is the longest the IRS can hold your refund without offering a challenge?
5/2/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

The IRS has three years from the date you file a return to release the return and or ask for additional information.

MyVirtualCPA :

If they hold your return past April 15, it will start to draw interest and the IRS will pay you interest.

Customer:

How much interest?

MyVirtualCPA :

At the market interest rate

MyVirtualCPA :

Right now, it is 3%

MyVirtualCPA :

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/Interest-Rates-Remain-the-Same-for-the-First-Quarter-of-2013

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you need anything additional?

Customer:

Anything I can do to expedite matters?

MyVirtualCPA :

You can contact the Taxpayer Advocate

MyVirtualCPA :

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Taxpayer-Advocate-Service-6

MyVirtualCPA :

They are there for this purpose.

Customer:

thanks

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome

MyVirtualCPA :

If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today