How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16579
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello there. I have recently sent off 2 late tax returns

This answer was rated:

Hello there.
I have recently sent off 2 late tax returns to be filled. One for 2010 & one 2011. I have sent a check for 5k for 2011 leaving a remainder of 3k for 2011. I have already filled and set up a payment plan for 2012 and I was told to not send in anything with my 2010 return and await the IRS's response to this and then arrange payment.
I owe a total of around $22k.
Firstly does what I have done make sense as I can't pay it off all at once.
Secondly and VERY importantly I called the IRS and I was told it will take around 2 months just to here back from them.
I need to show proof that I have arranged payments so I can move forward with getting a mortgage.
Is there any way I can speed up the process?
Can I go to a lawyer and see if they can move things along.
I am in limbo until this is resolved.
Thank you

MyVirtualCPA :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using

MyVirtualCPA :

Unfortunately, there's little that can be done to speed up the process. The IRS must process your return before you can make payment arrangements

MyVirtualCPA :

It takes a few weeks for your return to be processed when you mail it in.

MyVirtualCPA :

A lawyer will not be able to speed things up.

MyVirtualCPA :

Once your return is processed, since the amount you owe is below $50,000 you can apply online for a payment plan

MyVirtualCPA :

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

MyVirtualCPA :

If not, please take a moment to rate my response "excellent" so that I may receive credit for helping you today.

Megan C and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Hello, Luke

I realize you were unable to join our chat. Please let me know if you cannot read the response that I prepared for you. Otherwise, please rate my response "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you, or follow up via the reply button below. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,


I wonder if you can help. I have been working on paying my back taxes to the IRS using payments. They have said although I have not officially got a payment I could start making payments which I have. Because I wanted to be head of the game I made a couple of bigger payments using one of the approved government payment companies.

My questions. I am currently away in the UK and don't know if they have sent me a letter confirming the payments and I am worried I may miss payment.

2. Are the IRS immediately informed by the payment company that I did make a payment. I remember it saying payment successful but I don't think I got a receipt.


i really want to put this stuff behind me and I appreciate your help!



Luke Proctor.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your follow up. You should get a letter confirming the payment, but if you don't you can simply order an account transcript by calling 1-800-829-1040 and verify that the payment was applied on there.

And yes, the IRS is notified immediately by the payment company that you did make the payment. Your payment on your bank statement could be your receipt.

Please let me know if you need anything else. If not, please rate this response so that I can get additional credit for assisting you today. Thanks.
Megan C and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you