Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I am a small business owner and I have payed quarterly taxes

I am a small business owner and I have payed quarterly taxes on time for the last 7 years but now I missed my June 15th payment 2012 and didn't pay it until April 21 2013. THey haven't cashed my check now but I'm sure it just takes longer to process. They hadn't sent me a letter saying I was late even though I obviously was. Will I get audited? Does this increase my chances? Other than late fees will anything happen

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
No you do not increase your chances for audit by the payment being late. You are correct that when you file you may be charged a penalty for not paying enough but only for that period not the entire year. When you file you may be able to avoid or lower the penalty by annualizing your income and making unequal payments on the Form 2210

Customer:

Do you think it just takes a while to process? I mailed it last wed and the check has still not been cashed

Robin D :

Yes, I would not think it would show yet. You can call the IRS and inquire if the payment was received,(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Robin D :

As the payment was for a quarter in the previous year they may have a delay in applying it.

Customer:

From the things i found online it says if the irs sees you "miss" a payment they don't know what else you might miss so you are more likely to be flagged for an audit. Are you sure it doesn't increase the chances

Robin D :

That is not a reason for audit. The IRS uses a much more complex system then that. They use what is known as the DIF score.

Customer:

Thank you