Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What do I have to do to switch state residency from MN to WI.

I have homes in both...
What do I have to do to switch state residency from MN to WI. I have homes in both states, I spend 75-80% of my time at the home in Wisconsin. Primary reason it is not 100% is the house in MN needs to be tended to and we prefer the quality of Medical and dental care in the big city rather than in the middle of nowhere which is where we live in WI.
My banking is with Wells Fargo which is a Nation wide bank rather than in one of the very small rural banks in Northern WI. All loans and mortgages are with them and I have been with them for 40 plus years.
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/27/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
You will certainly want to change your driver's lic, your voting registration, and your postal address (through the USPS).

Robin D :

If you have been taking advantage of homestead exemptions on your property taxes for MN then you will need to alert the county to your change of residency.

Robin D :

A legal resident of Wisconsin is a person who maintains his or her domicile in Wisconsin, whether or not s/he is physically present in Wisconsin or living outside of the state.
A "domicile" is a person's true, fixed, and permanent home where a person intends to remain permanently and indefinitely and to which a person has the intention of returning, whenever absent. It is often referred to as "legal residence." A person may be physically present or living in one place but maintain a domicile in another. A person has only one domicile at any point in time.
Your domicile depends on many things, including where you live, where you vote, where you register your vehicles and where you own or rent property.

Robin D :

The state of Wisconsin has a domicile questionaire which may assist you in changing to that state:
http://www.revenue.wi.gov/forms/2012/Form1NPR_inst.pdf#page=47

Robin D :

MN has requirements as well but they run in the same direction.
http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/individuals/individ_income/factsheets/fact_sheets_fs1.pdf

Robin D :

Your banking is not the one and only item that determines your residency (domicile).

Robin D :

It is your connection to the state. Those items are more important (voting, postal address,time in state,driver's lic, and where your family reside).

Robin D :

Customer Last Viewed Today at 10:29

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4