Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

my son lives in AZ.he lives in a trailor park where he pays

a lot rent,can he claim...
my son lives in AZ.he lives in a trailor park where he pays a lot rent,can he claim the lot rent on his taxes?thanks
4/14/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you tonight?

MyVirtualCPA :

Unfortunately. you can not deduct the lot rent on your taxes.

MyVirtualCPA :

This is a personal expense, and is therefore not deductible.

Customer:

thanks for your help,but I think they should be able to claim lot rent to me its like renting apartment which you can claim on your state tax.

MyVirtualCPA :

No, you can not deduct your apartment rent

Customer:

I live in MI. and you can claim it

MyVirtualCPA :

No, personal rent is never deductible for federal or state purposes

MyVirtualCPA :

There is the homestead property tax credit but not rent.

Customer:

I am telling you people in MI. can claim apartment rent on state income tax only we have been doing it for years.

MyVirtualCPA :

There is the homestead property tax credit, but you can't deduct just straight rent.

MyVirtualCPA :

The Credit is only for certain taxpayers

MyVirtualCPA :

However, this does not exist in Ariona

MyVirtualCPA :

Arizona

MyVirtualCPA :

In Arizona there is no tax credit such as there is in Michigan

Customer:

ok that's all I wanted to know was AZ. the same as Mi.thanks for your help.have a good day

MyVirtualCPA :

You too. Would you rate my response as excellent?

Customer:

yes I will

MyVirtualCPA :

Okay thanks. Have a great night.