Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My son left the Army officially on February 13, 2013. However,

My son left the Army...
My son left the Army officially on February 13, 2013. However, he used his back leave time up until the 13th so was unofficially check off the base in December, 2012. All his official paperwork came here to his home in Califoria, but he never received his W2. While he was in the Army he could access all his tax information on their website, but now is unable to do that and has no idea who to contact to get his W2, and has been frustrated trying to speak to someone at the IRS that can understand the situation. Could it just be lost in cyberspace between the time he took leave and his actual discharge date? Any help to locate the missing W2 would be greatly appreciated.
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/13/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you tonight

MyVirtualCPA :

Although I cannot help you locate the actual W-2 I can help you retrieve the information

MyVirtualCPA :

Unfortuantely what you would need to do is file an extension for your son's tax return

MyVirtualCPA :

Then, in mid-May order a wage and income transcript from the IRS

Customer:

Can this all be done online and is there a fee to order transcript?

MyVirtualCPA :

It is free to order a transcript and it can NOT be done online unfortunately

MyVirtualCPA :

You would call 1-800-829-1040 or fill out form 4506-T and select option 8

Customer:

By phone? Or must it be a request in writing? The Extension form can be obtained online, right?

MyVirtualCPA :

You can file an extension with an e-file service provider

MyVirtualCPA :

You can request the transcript by phone OR you can send your request in writing

Customer:

Like Turbo-Tax?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes

Customer:

Thank you for your help. One more question, can we just file the extension form for him or does he have to do it?

MyVirtualCPA :

Let me look at the form. I didn't have to sign mine, but I will confirm

Customer:

Thanks

MyVirtualCPA :

You don't have to sign it. You can do it for him.

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm sorry there's not a quicker way to get the W-2 information

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can help you with tonight?

Customer:

Thank you so much. This helps alot. It is so late to be doing this -- just is not on his priority list right now. SIGH

Customer:

thanks again

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome. Please take a moment to rate my response "Excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

Will do

Thank you for the positive rating. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer. For the quickest service, please post a new question.