Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My company is paying me a living allowance as my work takes

My company is paying me a living allowance as my work takes me away from home. I am told I have to pay tax on this allowance. Is there any way to claim it back as a living expense?

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

Customer:

Fine thanks

MyVirtualCPA :

That's good.

MyVirtualCPA :

How long is the assignment where your work is taking you away from home?

MyVirtualCPA :

This is not travel, this is living correct?

Customer:

I have been in Alaska for 18 months to date. Likely another 2 years. Company relocated me from Alberta, Canada. I am paid a monthly living allowance as well as a travel allowance as I am expected to take home leave 4 times a year.

MyVirtualCPA :

Okay then this is not a "temporary assignment" which means that it would last less than one year

MyVirtualCPA :

So, you cannot deduct your living expenses

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm truly sorry.

MyVirtualCPA :

Please don't shoot the messenger!

Customer:

Ha! Ha! I won't shoot you! Just wanted a 2nd opinion as I have been told the same thing by my accountant here in Anchorage. Thanks!

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome

MyVirtualCPA :

Please rate my response as excellent so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thank you for the positive rating. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer. For the quickest service, please post a new question.