How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15187
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I prevent someone from claiming me (I am over 24) and

Customer Question

How do I prevent someone from claiming me (I am over 24) and my child as dependents? We did not live with this person for more than half of the year in 2012 (from June on) and they did NOT pay more than half of our bills to support us- in fact they threw out many of our belongings and attempted to steal my purse!

This person told me that when I lived three hours from them they attempted to claim me on their taxes and I found tax information where they had tried to fradulently claim me in other years as well (most likely 2009, 2010 and 2011). They even asked for my son's ss number to claim him! I refused to give them his number and this is not the first time they have asked to claim him either!

They stole a lot of other personal information including a copy of my drivers liscense, my divorce paperwork and other important and personal items including receipts so I want to be able to prevent them from stealing my identity to use for illegal tax or other illegal purposes.
I only did volunteer and class work last year so technically I made less than 3600 and I was on food stamps.

Can the food stamps and their receipts prove she was not supporting me or my son or how do I prove that NEITHER my son or I were a dependent?

This person also was unemployed last year from from January to December.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
You need to file your own return and report the income you had along with your son as dependent.

Robin D :

If your return rejects becuas eyu or your son have been claimed then you will have to mail the return. Send a statementadvising teh iRS of the simple facts (name of the othe rperson, address, and simpl;y stated circumstances).

Robin D :

because* sorry

Robin D :

There is a form you can file as well but I would suggest that you send the copy with the tax return. Use Form 14039

Robin D :

Yes, the food stamps and any other assistanc eyou received woud help prove the individual did not support you or your son.

Robin D :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

If you could also participate in the very short survey that Just Answer will send you by e-mail I would appreciate that very much.
I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.

Customer :

Thanks for the prompt reply. I was never mailed my return form and was unemployed for almost the entire year but volunteering, attending school, looking for employment and the sole provider for my child. Perhaps the lack of income is why the form wasn't received? Should I still request a form and use for 14039 as well?

Robin D :