How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie B. Your Own Question
Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 556
Experience:  MTax, EA, QuickBooks Proadvisor. Over 15 years accounting and tax experience specializing in individual and small business.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephanie B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was in the hospital in 2012. Ive paid the hospital

Resolved Question:

My son was in the hospital in 2012. I've paid the hospital in January 2013.
Can I include this amount paid in 2012 tax return, or do I have to wait until 2013?
thanks much...
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephanie B. replied 4 years ago.

Stephanie B. :

Thank you for your question.

The medical expense is a deduction in the year it is paid, not the year the incident occurred, for you or your dependents.

Please let me know if you need additional clarification.

I look forward to your response.


Stephanie B. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you