Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

can a non-profit private volunteer fire department solicit

donations for a subscription for...
can a non-profit private volunteer fire department solicit donations for a subscription for emergency response as a tax deductible donation?
4/5/2013
philip.simmons
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an Arizona attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Not sure I understand your question...you want to know if donations to a Arizona Fire Department are tax deductible.

We have a non-profit private fire department. Not a Fire Tax District. We ask for citizens to subscribe for a membership instead of being billed. The membership is a lower rate than being billed for a call. can the members deduct the membership fee as a donation to the fire dept.

That I do not know..that sounds like fee for service...which would not be deductible...but let me send you to a tax attorney. Just a moment please.

Thank you.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Thank you for allowing me to be of service to you regarding your tax question. Generally, if a person receives a benefit as a result of making a contribution to a qualified organization, that person can deduct only the amount of the contribution that is more than the value of the benefit that is received. I hope this information is helpful to you.
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for your information. It has been very helpful.

Robert

It's my pleasure. Please take a moment to rate my answer to you since that is an important aspect of being an expert on JustAnswer/Pearl, and I strive for excellence in my answers. Thank you and best regards.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent