How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie B. Your Own Question
Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 556
Experience:  MTax, EA, QuickBooks Proadvisor. Over 15 years accounting and tax experience specializing in individual and small business.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephanie B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just got married in October 2012. My spouse wants to file

This answer was rated:

I just got married in October 2012. My spouse wants to file separately. So do i file single or file separate married? Also, if i file married separate do i have to enter there name, and social security number, and would they also have to sign the tax returns?

Stephanie B. :

Thank you for your question.

If you are married and have lived together anytime the last half of the year, you must file MFJ or MFS. Single is not an option. If you choose to file a MFS return, you will each have to include the name and SSN of your spouse under the spouse information. You will not have to sign your spouse' s return and your spouse will not have to sign your return. This is a separation of liability. This means you will not be liable for what your spouse puts on his/her return and they will not be liable for what you put on your return.

Please let me know if you need additional clarification.

I look forward to your response.



thanks, XXXXX XXXXX help Stephanie

Stephanie B. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
You are very welcome!!