Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My Question: I had an accountant prepare my 2012 Tax Returns.

My Question: I had an accountant prepare my 2012 Tax Returns. I reported a $596 noncash contribution (clothing donated). My preparer/accountant claimed/listed this noncash contribution in my 2012 Tax Return, but did not include a FORM: 8283 (for noncash contributions ).

What happens if I mail my already prepared 2012 Tax Returns without this Form 8283?
Will I have to make corrections, and can you tell me what to expect to happen?
Will this be easy or a headache to correct??

Thank You!

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
The most likely outcome will be that your deduction will be disallowed and the IRS will send you a proposed assessment for additional tax liability without that deduction.
You will be given 30 days to respond or to agree and pay proposed tax liability (plus penalties and interest).
Your likely response will be an amended tax return which will include missing form 8283 - and processing of your tax return (and refund if you expect it) will be delayed.
To avoid delays - I suggest to correct your tax return and add a required form 8283 with your original filing...

Customer:

Hi and Thank You (LEV),

Customer:

I appreciated your helpful overview of Form: 8283 and my options. I have a follow-up (on my question) for your opinion, will be greatly appreciated:

Customer:

1. My tax preparer filed SCHEDULE A and in the GIFTS TO CHARITY (#17) where it says: YOU must attach Form 8283 if over $500....(he typed in:............SEE STATEMENT 3) ...........$596:

Customer:

2. On a separate typed page is listed: SCHEDULE A: Contributions Other Than Cash/Check: STATEMENT 3: he has listed:

Customer:

The Charity name(Goodwill): Amount 50% limit : ($)596.

Customer:

TOTAL TO SCHEDULE A, LINE 17: 596.

Customer:

My question is: does this remove the need for the FORM 8283 in your opinion?

Customer:

My 2012 Tax Return has been prepared, typed &stapled together, and I want to mail it, except

Customer:

I am very concerned that my accountant/tax preparer did not include this Form 8283. Do you think I should

Customer:

add this Form, just paperclip to my return, and type in $596, in the Part 1: Information on Donated Property, in the

Customer:

Fair Market Value section? OR

Customer:

3. Would you just leave out the Form 8283?

Customer:

My goal is just to be done with this, and not to have to do any Tax Amendments or additional forms. I do not even care if I do not get the deduction at this point, but I do not want to have to refile my taxes or do anything else. Please any best advice/opinion will be greatly appreciated!

Customer:

My original tax preparer is not taking or returning calls now, so I'm on my own to figure out what to do. All alone...hope you can help me...Thanks very much.

LEV :

Please see IRS publication 526 - http://www.irs.gov/publications/p526/ar02.html
Total deduction over $500. If your total deduction for all noncash contributions for the year is over $500 or includes certain publicly traded securities, you must complete Section A of Form 8283, and attach it to your Form 1040.

The IRS may disallow your deduction for noncash charitable contributions if it is more than $500 and you do not submit Form 8283 with your return.
So far - (1)the itemized attachment is NOT mentioned as a substitute for form 8283. (2) the IRS clear indicates that deduction MIGHT be disallowed. (3) We may not predict if they will or will not disallowed deduction. If you are willing to take a risk - that is your choice.

LEV :
id="JA_chatMessage_9" class="JA_chatMessage JA_persBInactive">

Do you think I should add this Form, just paperclip to my return, and type in $596, in the Part 1: Information on Donated Property, in the Fair Market Value section? OR 3. Would you just leave out the Form 8283?
If your tax return is ready, but is not mailed - that would be very simply to attach form 8283 and if you were my client - I would recommend to so that.

Customer:

Thank You (LEV)! Your help has been excellent and deeply appreciated!! Your advice for me is clear, sound and makes sense to me. Appreciated your detail, patience, follow-up and clarity. Many thanks!! Hope to get you again in future if/when guidance needed