Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

is there a tax deduction for living in a 5th wheel away from

is there a tax deduction for living in a 5th wheel away from home for a job out of state

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
Is it a temporary position away from your ordinary work place?

Customer:

yes it is

Robin D :

You may deduct the cost of going between your residence and a temporary work location outside of the metropolitan area where you live and normally work. You may also use the cost of the location (rental lot or space) of the 5th wheel. This would be like you could if you stayed in a hotel while away.

Robin D :

Travel expenses paid or incurred in connection with a temporary work assignment away from home are deductible. However, travel expenses paid in connection with an indefinite work assignment are not deductible.

Customer:

what about daily use of 5th wheel

Robin D :

That would be the expense you incur for the 5th wheel ( rental space in a RV park).

Robin D :

You may deduct travel expenses, including meals and lodging, you cannot take the cost of the 5th wheel and prorate in any way

Robin D :

\You may use any interest you pay for the purchase of the 5th wheel on your Schedule A though as a second home

Customer:

last year on my taxs i was able to deduct 70-00 daily didnt use it every day traveled back home more then i am now

Robin D :

That was most like a per diem amount based on the location you were temporarily in. That was for meals but not lodging. Lodging is a specific amount based on the specific verifiable receipts incurred for the lodging.

Customer:

dont pay lot rent

Robin D :

You can take the daily allowed for meals just lik last year

Robin D :

Where is the 5th wheel parked , at the job site?

Customer:

job site no lot rent

Robin D :

That is good because you do not have to pay anything but, it leaves no expenses to claim either.

Robin D :

You are still allowed to use the daily rate for meals which is usually more than most people will spend in a day.

Customer:

dont know should i still try i pay all

Robin D :

Still try what, what did you pay for?

Customer:

can i claim the 7o per day

Robin D :

Yes, that is for meals.

Robin D :

What location were you in I can verify the daily rate for you

Customer:

yes maryland

Robin D :

OK one sec please

Robin D :

Most of Maryland is between 51 and $71 if you have a specific city I can narrow it down

Customer:

upper marlbor

Robin D :

One sec

Customer:

washington dc area

Robin D :

$71

Customer:

is that for every day i am out here

Robin D :

Everyday

Customer:

thanks Robin

Robin D :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

If you could also participate in the very short survey that Just Answer will send you by e-mail I would appreciate that very much.
I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.

Customer:

I will