Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

HELLO I MADE OVER 10,000$ IN 2012 AND WHEN I DID MY TAXES MY

REFUND CAME OUT TO $29.00...
HELLO I MADE OVER 10,000$ IN 2012 AND WHEN I DID MY TAXES MY REFUND CAME OUT TO $29.00 TWENTY -NINE DOLLARS THIS IS THE FIRST TIME.....PLEASE HELP
4/1/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
What exactly do you need to know?

Robin D :

Did you want an estimate from a tax expert?

Robin D :

Do you file single, have any dependents, are you a dependent?

Customer:

SINGLE NO DEPENDANTS I AM NOT A DEPENDANT, IN THE PAST MY RETURNS HAVE BEEN $600-700 DOLLARS

Robin D :

What was your withholding amount?

Customer:

I CANT BELIEVE THIS I DONT HAVE MY W2 WITH ME.....SOMEWHERE AROUND SHIT $2300 I THINK

Robin D :

Ok, one sec while I do some math please

Customer:

MY INCOME WAS CLOSER TO 20,000$

Robin D :

If it was 10,000 then your calculations are correct. One sec

Customer:

IF THE BREAK IS AT 20,000 I SHOULD SAY IT WAS JUST OVER 20

Robin D :

What do you mean "should I say" you have lost me now

Robin D :

One sec

Customer:

I MADE OVER 20,000$ BUT LESS THAN 21 OR 22

Robin D :

Then you need to redo your return because if your wages from W2 (not a 1099MISC), single, no dependents and withholding at around 2300 would mean a taxable income of $10,250, and tax of $1106 which would mean you would have a refund of $1194

Robin D :

So go back and see what you entered for your box 1 amount from your W2

Robin D :

If you put $10,000 then the return is right

Robin D :

If you put 10000 as wages but no withholding then your return would say you owed around $24

Customer:

WHERE DO YOU THINK I WENT WRONG AND IF I REDO AFTER FILING IS IT THEN AN AMENDMENT I HAVE NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE AGAIN MY REFUNDS IN THE PAST HAVE BEEN IN THE 600 RANGE LAST YEAR WAS THE MOST I HAVE EVER MADE I WORKED FOR THE SAME COMPANY AS IN 2011

Robin D :

Yes, if you did not prepare the return correctly, you will need to file an amended return to correct. Where you went wrong......assuming there is nothing else on your W2 that was counted as income and the only thing you had was a W2, you may have simply entered your numbers wrong or entered the boxes incorrectly. I would not have anyway of knowing to tell you the truth unless you can tell me exactly what was on the return line by line.

Customer:

I UNDERSTAND THANKS IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD KNOW???? WHY THE BIG DIFF BETWEEN MAKING 10 AND MAKING OVER 20 THAT MAKES SUCH A GAP IN RETURNS???

Robin D :

The big difference was I calculated first without your withholding that is why I had to look at that amount. You will need to wait to mail your 1040X after you receive the refund form the original and it may take 12 weeks to process the amendment

Robin D :

It may take 12 weeks to process the amendment, you have to mail it (no e-file) and wait till the original is processed

Robin D :

The first time I calculated I did not have withholding, look at the W2 again and this time make sur eyou copy the info correctly

Customer:

OH GREAT...ON THE TURBO TAX WHEN I PUT IN MY EIN EMPLOYER # XXXXX W2 WAS AUTOMATTLY DOWNLOADED AND TURBO TOOK THE INFO FROM THERE AND WITH TAXUSA (WHICH I DID NOT SEND) I GOT THE SAME RETURN AMOUNT AND THAT WAS WITH ME INPUTTING THE NUMBERS...BTW I AM NOT YELLING I WRITE IN CAPS ALL THE TIME HAVE FOR YEARS B4 TEXTING AND EMAIL IT IS JUST MY WAY....

Robin D :

No problem ( I was listening in lower case)

Robin D :

When you get that W2 in your hand come back and give me some more info from it

Customer:

VERY CLEVER AND THOUGHTFUL OF YOU....WILL I BE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOU???

Robin D :

Yes

Robin D :

The thread is not erased

Robin D :

You will access under "My Questions" when you log back in

Customer:

OK GREAT NOW WHAT I THOUGHT I HAD PAPERWORK ON ME SO WHEN I GET HOME TONIGHT ILL GET IT PACKED UP AND WILL TRY YOU AGAIN TOMORROW CORRECT

Robin D :

Most certainly

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4