How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am amending my 2011 tax returns (California and Fed) and

This answer was rated:

I am amending my 2011 tax returns (California and Fed) and also doing both of my 2012 tax returns (fed and state). As there is no deadline (that I am aware of) to amend fed and state tax returns - and because I OWE money on the two amended returns I'd like to take my time on those two. However, the 2012 tax returns contain numbers that carry forward from the AMENDED returns. If I file the 2012 returns now and the amended 2011 in, say several months from now could that be problematic because the 2012 returns are based on the amended numbers? The last thing I would want to do is increase my chances of an audit, especially as I am being honest and amending my returns to the detriment of my botXXXXX XXXXXne.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using With carried forward numbers from 2011 to 2012 then I would definitely file your 2012 after your 2011 has been processed. So, I would extend your 2012, file your 2011 then file your 2012 by October 15. I wouldn't file the 2012 first because the numbers on your return won't match up with what is in the system for the prior year.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not to be construed as financial or legal advice. Please contact a local tax professional, and do not rely on this assessment to avoid penalties or to make financial decisions. This is for informational purposes only**

You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Megan C and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the positive rating. Please come back and see me next time you have a question. It was a pleasure working with you today. I hope you have a great afternoon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My tax accountant said if I file my 2012 tax return before 4/15 it would get reviewed before the 2011 amended return even if I mail the amended first because it takes the IRS around 6 weeks to review amended tax returns. Would you agree?