How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I open a $500 for my daughter who is 17 and earned $600

This answer was rated:

If I open a $500 for my daughter who is 17 and earned $600 last year, will she need to file a tax return to report the IRA contribution if she had $0 tax withheld from her check?


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
There is no need to file tax return to report IRA contribution.
Because with only $600 in earned income - your daughter does not have any income tax liability - she would not be able to deduct her IRA contribution anyway - so there is no reason to file a tax return unless she want to claim a refund for income tax withholding.

Lev and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you