Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I had asked you a couple of questions the other day about issuing

Customer Question
1099's late. I also...
I had asked you a couple of questions the other day about issuing 1099's late. I also asked you about having to enter my personal social securtiy number on the issued 1099. Is there anyway to avoid that at this point? WHat happens if you leave it off? Can you just put the last four digits? If not can I get a EIN issued even though I don't have an LLC or anything set up? And if so would that not look good seeing how it would just now and show that i am issuing the 1099 late? please help
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Tax
4/1/2013
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 4 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Welcome. THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My goal is to help make YOUR life, a little...LESS taxing.

Hello again,

Q: Is there anyway to avoid that at this point?

A: No, if you send in a 1099 without your social or an E.I.N., the IRS is likely going to reject it, and you may even get fined for sending in an incomplete 1099.

------------------------------------------------
Q: WHat happens if you leave it off?

A: Answered above.

______________________________

Q: Can you just put the last four digits?

A: Doesn't work that way. Currently the full number needs to show.

-------------------------------------------------

Q: can I get a EIN issued even though I don't have an LLC or anything set up?

A: Yes, you can apply for an E.I.N.

Q: And if so would that not look good seeing how it would just now and show that i am issuing the 1099 late?

A: I'm not sure how the IRS would look at that. In my opinion, as the 1099 is already late, applying for an E.I.N. at this point shouldn't make much a difference as far as whether it will look bad or not. You can refer to the following webpage for more information relating to the E.I.N.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Apply-for-an-Employer-Identification-Number-%28EIN%29-Online

Hopefully this clarifies matters for you.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.

So do you think I should just do my personal social security or do the EIN? As a matter of opinion. Again it will just show that I sent out the 1099's extremely late. Should I just go and get the EIN and if so can I put that down at this point, even though the 1099 that was given to me was under my personal tax id. Or should I just send the 1099 with my personal ID and not think twice about it. Just dont want my number out there. But more importantly at this point, dont want to be responsible for all the taxes when i paid someone the money. Just asking as I have needed and need to get these out asap.

Jason,

I think I mentioned this in one of my responses to you, as these people were not employees, you are not responsible for employer taxes. Even if you don't issue 1099s to these people, you are not responsible for taxes on the amounts paid to them, you'll just likely not be able to deduct those amounts paid to them on your tax return.

As for using your social security number, what is the issue? Do you not trust these people that you had doing work for you? I understand about not wanting your number out there, but at this point, it is either use your social or apply for an E.I.N. It doesn't matter that the 1099 that was issued to you was issued under your social security number, that 1099 and the 1099 that will be issued to the others are two different matters. You rec'd the 1099 for services that you performed and the 1099s that you are wanting to issue is for work that others have performed. My suggestion, if you're feeling that uneasy about using your social...get an E.I.N. and use that.
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant