Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

We filed for bankruptcy, but one of the debtors challenged

We filed for bankruptcy, but one of the debtors challenged their discharge and we incurred legal expenses to settle with the debt. Can we deduct these legal fees?
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using Justanswer.com. Unfortunately, you can only deduct legal fees that generate taxable income. So, in your case the bankruptcy did not result in the recognition of income therefore your expense of legal fees would not be deductible.

I'm truly sorry if this is not what you had hoped to hear. However, I have a duty to inform you of the tax code as it stands. Please don't shoot the messenger! Our ratings reflect on us personally, and our ability to help customers on the site.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not to be construed as financial or legal advice. Please contact a local tax professional, and do not rely on this assessment to avoid penalties or to make financial decisions. This is for informational purposes only**

You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The settlement of $1100 a month would not be taxable income?

No, debts discharged in bankruptcy are not taxable income.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But the debt was not discharged. They won. This was a business expense and we were an S corp. We did file personal bankruptcy because we dissolved the business; however, the business debts stayed with us.

Thank you for your follow up. IF they won and you had to pay the payment, that is still not taxable income. You would still not get a deduction on the legal fees incurred for this bankruptcy.

Thank you for the positive rating. Please come back and see me next time you have a question. It was a pleasure working with you today. Have a great afternoon.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer