How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner is doing her 2012 tax return and I asked her for

This answer was rated:

My partner is doing her 2012 tax return and I asked her for her 2011 return. She started a new business in January, 2011 - and to say she is not financially inclined is an understatement! Anyway, I noted that she had a 1099 for $11,000 in 2011 and that her AGI was around $35K. So I asked her why she had ZERO expenses against her Schedule C income and had not claimed self employed health insurance premiums for the year or her cell phone usage for the business. She looked at me blank! Anyway, my question is: if she files an amended for 2011 does it look weird that she didn't claim self employed health insurance premiums for the year or her cell phone usage and she is now amending to include them? She also needs to include the HSA contributions which she also forgot to claim. I guess she is wondering if amending would put her at higher risk of audit - which no-one really wants!
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using Yes, she should file an amended return and include those expenses. Filing an amended return in and of itself does not make you more likely for an audit, but keep in mind that the IRS is looking at the amended return when they process it. However, she's entitled to these expenses and she should include them. She should not be afraid to file an amended return.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not to be construed as financial or legal advice. Please contact a local tax professional, and do not rely on this assessment to avoid penalties or to make financial decisions. This is for informational purposes only**

You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Megan C and 5 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the positive rating. Please come back and see me next time you have a question. It was a pleasure working with you today. Have a great afternoon.
Thank you for the positive rating. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer. For the quickest service, please post a new question.