Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Indirect Expenses - when you have a home office can your Gas,

Electric, Water, pool maintenance, cable...
Indirect Expenses - when you have a home office can your Gas, Electric, Water, pool maintenance, cable all be considered indirect costs and you use a percentage equivalent to the % your office space is and deduct as a indirect cost?
4/1/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. I would say yes that everything except pool maintenance - could be counted as indirect expense for your home office. Your costs such as utilities, homeowners insurance, and housing maintenance can be written off to the extent that you use your home for a home office. However, I would not deduct pool maintenance because it's unlikely you use your pool for business.

Please let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not to be construed as financial or legal advice. Please contact a local tax professional, and do not rely on this assessment to avoid penalties or to make financial decisions. This is for informational purposes only**

You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

so Rent, Cable, Water, Gas, Electric, Garbage, and Renters Insurance are ok, but do not use Pool Maintenance? Just want to confirm.

If you use your cable for business purposes include that. If not, don't. It's a personal expense. The rest sound okay.

Please let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks again for using JustAnswer and have a great day.

Thank you for the positive rating. Please come back and see me next time you have a question. It was a pleasure working with you today. Have a great afternoon.
Thank you for the positive rating. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer. For the quickest service, please post a new question.