Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Dear Tax Professional, I taxpayer has rental loss of $1,114

Dear Tax Professional, I taxpayer has...
Dear Tax Professional,

I taxpayer has rental loss of $1,114 in 2011, that is the only loss for taxpayer and no other sources of income, could this loss be net operating loss that carry over to 2012?

Please advise.

Thank you!
4/1/2013
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

PDtax :

Welcome to the site. I will be helping you today.

good morning,

yes, the rental loss can be considered a net operating loss if that is the only item of income or loss. It may be subjected to some tests first, but can become net operating loss. Here's a simple test.

if the loss is treated as a business loss, that is, if the loss is not limited by passive activity limitations, then it will create a net operating loss. the test is business income against business losses, and once the rental loss clears the passive activity hurdle, it will count.

thanks for asking at just answer.
Thank you for your assistance! I believe even though rental business is passive activity, I think as long as the owner materially participates the rental business, the first 25000 rent loss could be offset with ordinary income. If that is the case, lets say in this example, only around $1,000, is it still consider net operating loss that could carry over to next year?

Please advise!

Thanks!
Yes, it is treated as loss available for carryover. don't forget to elect carryover treatment or you will be required to carry the NOL back first.

Thanks from Just Answer.
PDtax
PDtax
PDtax