Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Related to previous question, for filing the State of Ohio

income tax return, can I...
Related to previous question, for filing the State of Ohio income tax return, can I file my husband on the 1040EZ (married filing separately), and mine on the 1040 to itemize the medical expenses (married filing separately)?

Marsha
4/1/2013
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
The form 1040EZ is not available if your filing status is "married filing separately" - so - that form is not allowed in your situation.
Then - if one spouse itemizes - another spouse may not use standard deduction and has to itemize.

LEV :

For state tax purposes - you may use Ohio form IT1040EZ only if you are not itemize.

Customer:

My mistake - I usually use a 1040 and Telefile. Am I still able to Telefile for my husband but itemize the medical deduction for me? When you say not use the standard deduction, are you referring to the personal exemption?

LEV :

Each of you may use the personal exemption - that is not an issue.
However deduction for medical expenses is included into itemize deduction. If your filing status is "married filing separately" - and if if one spouse itemizes - another spouse may not use standard deduction and has to itemize.

Customer:

On the state forms, I don't see a standard deduction amount? There is the personal exemption and exemption credit. If we both itemize, do we have to split the deductions? Or can I claim my personal medical expenses just on my itemization?

LEV :

the personal exemption is based on your personal and dependent exemptions - so if you are filing separate - each will claim ONE exemption.

Customer:

Ok - and do we need to split medical expenses that are only for me, or can I claim the total for me?

LEV :

You will deduct your medical expenses and your spouse will claim his medical expenses.

Customer:

Ok thanks.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor