How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15573
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hello. I keep getting mailing regarding my property taxes

This answer was rated:

hello. I keep getting mailing regarding my property taxes and how I am paying too much for property tax. In fact the town has done a reassessment of all the property which showed the value of my home has decreased in value. Despite this decrease in value my property taxes have risen in cost.

What is the information I should use to appeal the taxes? Does it make sense that despite the value of my home decreasing in value my property taxes have risen?

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
Homeowners can file a property tax appeal if they believe the official assessment has overvalued their property. Each county, city or local government has their own specifics on appealing. Look for errors on the assessment you have first. That would be the easiest path for appealing. Obtain property tax information for your community at the assessor's office and compare valuations of houses similar to your own. Locate at least five houses in the surrounding neighborhood that have similar amenities, square footage and visual appeal, and obtain property tax records for these homes from the assessor's office.
Property taxes are generally assessed and then taxed on the rate. The local authority could always increase the rate and this would mean the tax would go up even though assessed value would go down.

Robin D :

The mill rate is based on "mills"; as each mill is one-thousandth of a currency unit, one mill is equivalent to one-tenth of a cent or $0.001. Property tax in dollar terms is calculated by multiplying the assessed property value and the mill rate and dividing by 1,000. As a property may be subject to tax by a number of different authorities, mill rates are set by each taxing authority so as to meet the revenue projections in their budgets.

Robin D :

If your mil rate increased this would account for the increase in tax on devalued property.

Robin D :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

If you could also participate in the very short survey that Just Answer will send you by e-mail I would appreciate that very much.
I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.


Would I go to the tax assessor's office to find out if the mill rate has increased?

Robin D :

Yes, they would be able to advise on any changes that were made.

Robin D :

Many counties though post their info on their county web page.

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Robin. I accepted your answer a long time ago. Can you please close the question. thanks