Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

i was garnished by the state of wisconsin for sales tax from

my full time paycheck and...
i was garnished by the state of wisconsin for sales tax from my full time paycheck and the sales tax was from my small lawn cutting buisness i had . the amount i averaged was about 275.00 sales tax owed each year but over a 3 year pirod the state of wisconsin garnished of 10,000 dollars from me can i get a refund on the over payment.
3/30/2013
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

NPVAdvisor :

So for $825 in taxes owed they've garnished 10,000?

Customer:

yes i was garnished every paycheck for 2 years is there a way too get money back for the state over charging me sals tax ?

Customer:

3 years *

NPVAdvisor :

let me do a little looking but the best answer is probably going to be get a good attorney with this type of experience

NPVAdvisor :

You may have to give up SOME of it in attorneys fees

NPVAdvisor :

but geez 10,000 on a *25 debt

NPVAdvisor :

is excessive... you might

NPVAdvisor :

even be able to sue for paid and suffering, damages

NPVAdvisor :

just a sec ok?

NPVAdvisor :

sorry $825

NPVAdvisor :

right 250 for each of three years?

NPVAdvisor :

soeey 275

Customer:

a its stupid they took way more than i made from the buisness i only had about 12 accounts and because i didnt pay the sales tax for 3 years which i know was my falt i dont see how they can charge so much for so little actually owed.

NPVAdvisor :

275 X 3 = 825

NPVAdvisor :

if I have the numbers right 10,000 for 825?

NPVAdvisor :

somethin else is going on here

NPVAdvisor :

BUG mistake

NPVAdvisor :

r they're claimng other things like state income tax as well

NPVAdvisor :

BIT, so sorry

NPVAdvisor :

Big

Customer:

ya i owed 825 i only made about 5,00 or 6 thousand each year with the accounts

NPVAdvisor :

you're sure of the numbers?

NPVAdvisor :

and you're sure that this isn't income taxes too?

Customer:

yes very sure

NPVAdvisor :

Something is very wrong

NPVAdvisor :

Have you tried calling them?

Customer:

no i claimed the income it was for sales tax only

NPVAdvisor :

Something's really out of whack here

NPVAdvisor :

I really do think you should speak to an attorney ... even if you have to pay 1000 you'd still get 7500, 8000 back

NPVAdvisor :

Can you give me a minute to sdp 2 things?

NPVAdvisor :

(1) look a WI dept of revenue site for a petition form

NPVAdvisor :

(2) look for attys in WI that specialize in this

Customer:

they said because i didnt put in the form for sales tax they use some kind of average for everyone too pay a base amount i just want to know if there is away to put in a correction to the sales tax i paid so i can get a refund from them

NPVAdvisor :

ahhh

NPVAdvisor :

ok let me see if if can find the form for you

NPVAdvisor :

yes

NPVAdvisor :

yo9u probably can just go back and file the right form

NPVAdvisor :

may have to pay some late interest but nothing like that

NPVAdvisor :

they're just scaring you into getting the form in

Customer:

thats what i thought

NPVAdvisor :

let me look

Customer:

ok ty

NPVAdvisor :

I'll be away for less than a minute here

Customer:

ok

NPVAdvisor :

How do I amend my sales and use tax return?

Amend your return online using My Tax Account, the department's online filing system. The department will immediately acknowledge receipt of your amended returns filed electronically.

Additional information regarding filing amended returns can be found in the Form ST-12 Instructions and Publication 216.

NPVAdvisor :

now, let me get you the actual link to that site

NPVAdvisor :

AND the instructions

Customer:

ok ty

Customer:

ok ty so much for the help if they stone wall me ill get a lawyer after them thanks again for the help

NPVAdvisor :

Wait check this on out to

Customer:

ok

NPVAdvisor :

now let me see if I can get you right to the site where you do it

NPVAdvisor :

There you go ... choose the link for business

Customer:

wow thanks alot for all the help

NPVAdvisor :

option ! .. bet it will bepretty straightforward from there

NPVAdvisor :

again, sorry, option (1)

Customer:

ya i think so to

NPVAdvisor :

You're wecome I thin that'll get you there

Customer:

ya i think so thanks much

NPVAdvisor :

You're welcome Go for for it... and if you have further questions as you get further in let me know ,,, you can come back here

NPVAdvisor :

BUT ...

Customer:

ok

NPVAdvisor :

If this HAS given you enough information, I would appreciate either an “accept” or a feedback rating of 3 (OK) or better. That's the only way they will pay us here. HOWEVER, if you need more on this, PLEASE COME BACK here, so you won't be charged for another question.

Customer:

you will get a 5 thanks again

Hi James, you should be able to rate now, I had the system set to INFORMATION REQUEST so I could make sure we got to the bottom of things. Sorry about that.

Thanks again
Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS