Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am an individual/company attending a training course in Brussels,

Belgium and I am coming...
I am an individual/company attending a training course in Brussels, Belgium and I am coming from/reside in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates...am I liable to pay the VAT tax that they are charging me?
3/29/2013
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV : Hi and welcome to Just Answer! The answer is - yes - Holding live exhibitions, events or training in Belgium are subject of VAT. So based on your information VAT is charged correctly.
Customer:

Ok so it is irrespective of where I am resident of? The VAT gets charged because the course/service has taken place in the EU?

LEV : See for reference http://www.kpmg.com/Global/en/services/Tax/GlobalIndirectTax/Documents/vat-gst-essentials-2012/belgium-2011-vat-gst-essentials.pdf
LEV : Yes -VAT is based where services are provided - not based on your residency.
LEV : Sorry if you expected differently.
Customer:

The reason I was asking is because we send our employees to various training courses in the EU. And this institute was the only one charging VAT on top of it's fee.

Customer:

So it could be that the other institutes include the VAT hidden in their total amount in their invoice.

LEV : As we know services are subject of VAT. It is hard to tell why any specific provider does not charge VAT.
Customer:

Ok. Thanks for your help.

LEV : In the publication I referenced above - see page 9. - Services with regard to cultural, artistic, sporting, scientific, educational, entertainment, and similar activities, along with the ancillary services (taxable in the country where those activities are physically carried out).
Customer:

Yes I was just looking at it. Seems clear now.

Customer:

No it's fine. I just wanted to make sure they're not incorrectly claiming their VAT. I was hesitant paying the VAT because I didn't see that charge from other training institutes.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor