Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I own a small construction company that is an S-Corp. In 2008,

I received a loan for...
I own a small construction company that is an S-Corp. In 2008, I received a loan for the business and the loan proceeds were deposited in the business account. However, a Note Payable was never entered in the books. Instead it was entered as revenue.

I want to enter the Note Payable for the remaining balance as of 2011 since the books (QuickBooks) are closed for previous years.

How can I enter this if I cannot debit Cash, since there was no actual cash received in 2011? Is it possible.
3/28/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Yes, it's possible to make this entry. You will be correcting your prior period, so you will debit retained earnings and credit notes payable. If you make the entry in 2011 then you would debit revenue and credit notes payable.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not financial or legal advice, and must not be used as such. For financial and legal advice, please contact a local professional.*

Thank you for the positive rating. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer. For the quickest service, please post a new question.