How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DanielleCPA Your Own Question
DanielleCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 793
Experience:  Years of Experience in Business & Personal Taxes
Type Your Tax Question Here...
DanielleCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

2013 is the first time I filed my 2012 tax return electronically.

This answer was rated:

2013 is the first time I filed my 2012 tax return electronically. I owed the IRS money. But somehow when I made the payment electronically I hit the submit button twice so I ended up paying twice the amount I owed. How do I get the overpayment back? Do I have to file a 2012 1040 amendment?
Welcome and thanks for your question!

Filing an amendment won't do you any good because the tax return you filed is correct, but you paid twice. Once the IRS has processed your return, it will realize you have paid twice and eventually refund your money. Unfortunately, my past experience with clients is that this is a slow process. It could be weeks or even months. I would recommend that you call the IRS for more information and explain your situation. They may be able to expedite the process, but know that records of the payments recently made may not be visible in their system for a couple weeks. You can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 from the hours of 7am to 7pm local time. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance or if you need any clarification. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I read somewhere that an electronic file return usually take s 2 weeks to process. Is 2 weeks about right?

You are correct. Generally about 2 weeks, but the IRS' official timeline is up to 3.
DanielleCPA and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you