How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16579
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 22 and working on his masters degree in Pittsburgh

Resolved Question:

My daughter is 22 and working on his masters degree in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania and lives in Pittsburgh. She is not a resident of Penn. but a resident of Ohio. She works for the U.S. Commerce Dept Commercial Services in Pittsburgh as well. I want to do her taxes for her. It will most likely be a 1040 EZ as she only made about $8k-9K in 2012. How do I go about doing her taxes? I fill out the federal with our home address (Ohio). How about the state form. Is it the Ohio form or a Penn. form? Just need advice on how to handle this situation. Thanks,
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using You sound like you have your federal form figured out. Your daughter, as a resident of Ohio will pay tax both in Pennsylvania and Ohio. You will fill out a Pennsylvania non-resident tax return form and claim the income she earned in that state. Then, you will fill out an Ohio tax return as she is taxed on all income in her state of residence. She will get a credit in Ohio for taxes paid to Pennsylvania, so that should eliminate the double taxation bite.

So, you file both in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not financial or legal advice, and must not be used as such. For financial and legal advice, please contact a local professional.*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Megan C and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Megan C replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer. For the quickest service, please post a new question.