PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
64119565

IRS IS TAKING MY WIFE TO COURT FOR BACK TAXES THAT WE CANNOT

Customer Question

IRS IS TAKING MY WIFE TO COURT FOR BACK TAXES THAT WE CANNOT PAY. I FILED FOR BANCRUPCY SO THEY ARE AFTER MY WIFE. HOWEVER, ALL THE TAX LIABILITY IS DUE TO MY BUSINESS AND MY WIFE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY BUSINESS AND NEVER SIGNED ANY BUSINESS TAX RETURNS. HOWEVER MY BUSINESS WAS SET UP AS AN S COMPANY SO ME AND MY WIFE WAS DEEMED RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYING THE BACK TAXES, WHICH WE CANNOT.

WE DID NOT HIDE ANY THING JUST NOT HAVE ENOUGH FUNDS TO PAY. AFTER 13 YEARS OF BACK AND FORTH FIGHTING FINALLY, IRS LAWYER SEMD SUBPOENAS FOR BOTH OF US TO BE DEPOSED. I TOLD THE IRS LAWYER THAT I WILL INVOCE MY 5TH AMENDMENT RIGHTS. BUT, SHE IS INSISTING , WHAT IS IT THAT WE HAVE TO DO..
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 4 years ago.

PDtax :

Welcome to the site. I will be helping you today, but I have a few questions as well. To Q & A format..

Expert:  PDtax replied 4 years ago.
There are a number of factors that can affect a case like this. The number of years the tax has been owed, actions you may have taken to suspend the running of the statute of limitations, litigation, payment arrangements, will determine whether you and your wife are still liable for any of these taxes. IRS rarely litigates after this much time, so I am curious why the special interest. I would also like to know if you have been classified as a TP (tax protester).

I would ask for some more background before I can assist.