R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience
63817126

I need a US accountant to answer this question. Hopefully

I need a US accountant to answer this question. Hopefully someone with Quickbooks expertise. Someone can help me with expenses and what I can claim.

1) I present to teachers - nationally. I have bought 5 suits that I ONLY use when I am presenting. I NEVER wear them for any reason at home. Can I claim this and what would the account (Quickbooks) be?

2) I dry clean my clothes when presenting (on the road). Is this considered an expense.

3) I bought luggage to travel to my training. BIG luggage including shipping containers and personal luggage. All of it is used ONLY for business.

There are times when we receive payments (cash) on the road. i spend the money, but when I get to the office I write a check from my business account TO my business account so that I may zero out my invoice. How should I record this check? Owner loan? Equity? Shareholder...

Randalltax :

Thank you for your question.

Randalltax :

1) You may not deduct the cost of your suits against your US income. Only uniforms or clothes used for very specific work-only purposes are deductible, like steel-toed shoes or hard hats.

Randalltax :

2) Dry cleaning is considered an "incidental" expense and is deductible.

Randalltax :

3) Your regular luggage is not considered part of your travel expense because it's purpose is more broad than business use only. If you have special cases for equipment and displays, this type of bag or case would be deductible.

Randalltax :

Checks used to repay yourself for expenses should be typically marked as travel expense reimbursements. You can deduct the ORDINARY and NECESSARY business expenses for your travels except items that are primarily personal use items, like clothing and regular luggage.

Customer:

I understand the first three answers. I asked the fourth question poorly.

Customer:

i will ask it again

Customer:

Lets say I have an invoice for 675.00 for an enrollment for a course. The attendee gives me cash. I spend it before I get home. I have to apply a payment to that invoice to show it as closed (paid). I write a check from my business account and pay that invoice myself...that way the invoice is now showing as paid. What kind of account should I label this in quickbooks?

Randalltax :

No. You need to use a "cash" account to report the cash in and out.

Randalltax :

Customer pays you cash on your sales receipt. You deposit said "phantom" cash into the cash account.

Randalltax :

Then you spend cash out of the phantom cash account for the expense. Code it to whatever applies, such as Travel, or Meals.

Randalltax :

So there is no physical cash seen, but it allows you to book the in and out transactions properly.