Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Im getting ready to file for taxes. I worked in Alaska from

I'm getting ready to file...
I'm getting ready to file for taxes. I worked in Alaska from February to September of last year but i lived in Texas before and after my time at work. So i was wondering about claiming out of state expenses, if i can and how to do so. i have receipts for thins like food, clothes, a few tools, and some air fare. now the company i worked for provided lodging and three meals, does this mean that i cant claim these things?
3/13/2013
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Please see for reference IRS publication 463 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf

If your assignment or job away from your main place of work is temporary, your tax home does not change. You are considered to be away from home for the whole period you are away from your main place of work. You can deduct your travel expenses if they otherwise qualify for deduction. Generally, a temporary assignment in a single location is one that is realistically expected to last (and does in fact last) for 1 year or less.

However, if your assignment or job is indefinite, the location of the assignment or job becomes your new tax home and you cannot deduct your travel expenses while there. An assignment or job in a single location is considered indefinite if it is realistically expected to last for more than 1 year, whether or not it actually lasts for more than one year.

You can deduct ordinary and necessary expenses you have when you travel away from home on business. This table summarizes travel expenses you may be able to deduct.

graphic
Full Size Image

LEV :

You may have other deductible travel expenses that are not covered there, depending on the facts and your circumstances.
You generally might deduct transportation expenses to and from WA, lodging and daily meals and incidental expenses (M&IE) - Per Diem.
You need to subtract all expenses provided or paid or reimbursed by your employer if these weer not included into your wages.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor