How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask winktax Your Own Question
winktax, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 425
Experience:  18 years experience as an Enrolled Agent, insurance agent, stock broker and financial advisor.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
winktax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been in Afghanistan 4 years as a US contractor.

This answer was rated:

I have been in Afghanistan 4 years as a US contractor. In 2012 I filed my taxes from Jan 1 to Dec 31. If I stay in Afghanistan for the first 6 months of 2013, am I still exempt or must I pay full tax on that 6 months, even though I have been here for 4 years because of the 330 day rule?

winktax :

The rule for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Form 2555) is based on one of two rules. 1. Bona fide residence test = the individual must be a resident for an uninterrupted period that includes an entire tax year OR 2. Physical presence test = the individual must be physically present in a foreign country or countries 330 full days during a period of 12 consecutive months.

winktax :

You will meet the second test, the 330 days do not need to take place during a calendar year. However you must reduce the exclusion based on the number of days to account for only the days during a calendar year that you were present in the foreign country. Basically you get half 1/2 the exclusion for 2013. Annual exclusion for 2013 is $97,600, 6 months or 1/2 you would qualify for = $48,800

winktax :

Source: IRS Pub 54, Form 255 instructions and IRC &911

winktax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions