Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I moved my total 401K from one inventment firm to Merrill Lynch.

I moved my total 401K from one inventment firm to Merrill Lynch. The old firm provided me with a 1099R but I haven't received a 1099R from Merrill Lynch. I have a statement from Merrill Lynch that shows the amount that my given to them from the old firm.

My question is - how do I show this on my tax return so that it doesn't appear that I received these funds. The funds went from the old firm straight to Merrill Lynch.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. I'd like for you to take a look at your 1099-R. The amount of your rollover should be in box 1, and then in box 2a there should be nothing because this is not a taxable transaction. If there's nothing in box 2a that means no taxable income has been reported to the IRS and you need to do nothing with the form you received.

If there is an amount in box 2a, then let me know what the distribution code in box 7 is and we can go from there.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not financial or legal advice, and must not be used as such. For financial and legal advice, please contact a local professional.*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

.