Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

State of California taxes. My niece is 45 with two minor children

Customer Question
State of California taxes....
State of California taxes. My niece is 45 with two minor children and is dying of cancer. She revealed that she has back taxes she is paying on. She has been given a very short time to live. The family has no way to take on her debt and the children. At her death is there a way this debt will be forgiven if a certified death certificate is sent? Her parents are overwhelmed and have no additional money to pay the debt.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Tax
3/3/2013
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
None of relatives will be responsible for her tax debt.
Her tax debt will be go to her estate - and will be paid out of her assets.
If there is no assets left - the debt will be written off.
You (or the executor of her estate) simply will file her final tax return and attach a copy of the death certificate.

LEV :

Please feel free if you need any help with tax related issues.

Just in case you were not able to use the chat - I am switching to Q&A mode and porting the answer below.
Please feel free to communicate if you need any clarification or have other tax related issues.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor