How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3509
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Return is rejected, twice, because there is an LTC payment

This answer was rated:

My Return is rejected, twice, because there is an LTC payment for my invalid wife, not taxable, and the IRS keeps saying that the taxpayers SSN (my wife) return has already been filed and accepted by the IRS. This is impossible, my invalid wife has not filed any return. A 1099-LTC was filed by the Insurance agency.
Welcome. THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My goal is to help make YOUR life, a little...LESS taxing.

The following information is likely not going to sit well with you, but this is usually the case in these matters. In most cases when a person e-files, gets rejected and receives an error message that a taxpayer's SSN has already been used, more often than not, this means that someone has fraudulently used the SSN of that person. As you have tried several times to e-file and you keep getting rejected, you will need to mail in your paper return with a copy of the reject notice. The IRS will investigate the matter. If you are due a refund, expect a delay in receiving it. Note that the IRS will not tell you who has used your wife's SSN. I cannot comment on the LTC payment, but the IRS should be able to shed some light on this matter for you. You can call them at(NNN) NNN-NNNN Be prepared to be on hold for a while. I'm sorry that I cannot provide you with a more favorable response.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.
Tax.appeal.168 and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Hello again Arthur,

Thank you for the positive rating. I apologize, I see that I typed in the area code 818 instead of 800. The number is 1-800-829-1040. Sorry for the mistype. Even if requested to do so, there is no need to respond to this post.

Related Tax Questions