How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My rental property management company sent me a 1099-MISC with

This answer was rated:

My rental property management company sent me a 1099-MISC with box one blank, and the amount they sent me after taking out their fee in box 7. This seems incorrect to me. Am I wrong? If not, how do I fix it?

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using I am not sure why they put your income in the "nonemployee compensation" box of the 1099. You are correct, the amount should be in box 1.

And they are also correct in that the amount would be gross rents minus management fees, because that is the money that they gave you. They are correct there.


To correct this, you should have your rental management company issue a corrected 1099 showing the amount in the correct box. They can do this by filling out a new 1099 form and checking the "corrected" box at the top.


You don't need to wait on them to do this to file your taxes. But, I would have them do this ASAP to minimize any penalty that THEY may have because of amending a 1099.


Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using and have a great day.


** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not financial or legal advice, and must not be used as such. For financial and legal advice, please contact a local professional.*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Megan C and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. Also if you ever need anything else in the future please Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer