How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter has had a friend file her state and federal taxes

This answer was rated:

My daughter has had a friend file her state and federal taxes using Turbo Tax. She told me the state tax form that was submitted was rejected. She didn't know why, but in talking to her I found that her friend filed for her using her married name. Her maiden name and a previous address are on the W2 form. Would the name change and address change on the form, which won't match what is on the w2 form, cause her tax form to be rejected? Also, if a letter was sent to explain the reason for rejection, it will go to her old address. Do you have any way to help?


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
If she change name - she need to update her record with the Social Security Administration. The IRS system gets updates automatically - but that might take several days.
When the tax returns is filed - the IRS verified if the name and the SSN on the tax return match what they have - and in case of mismatch - the tax return is rejected. That likely what happened with your daughter.
To have her tax return accepted - she need to use the name that is currently registered in the Social Security Administration.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you