Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

A review of my taxes raised a question. I filed using TacAct

Customer Question
Hello , A review of...
Hello , A review of my taxes raised a question. I filed using TacAct and I looked at my Social Security 1099 form . It says I owe no taxes for 2011 or 2012 and I'm showing taxable income on my 1040 tax form , line 20a & b. Can you tell me why I paid tax when it appears the govt. is saying I don't owe it ??
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Tax
3/2/2013
Tax Professional: Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 4 years ago
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Even though you may have taxable income on lines 20 a &b you might still owe no tax. This is your income before deductions, so you could have no taxable income once you take your deductions and exemptions. This is probably why you had taxable income on line 20b, yet did not owe tax at the end of the year.

So, the reason you had no tax is your deductions and exemptions. These were equal to or greater than your social security income. This made your taxable income 0. Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not financial or legal advice, and must not be used as such. For financial and legal advice, please contact a local professional.*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. Also if you ever need anything else in the future please Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer