How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15442
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a Son Killed in an accident in 2012, I am the benificery

This answer was rated:

I had a Son Killed in an accident in 2012, I am the benificery on this IRA. The 1099 R that I received listed the Gross distribution amount but the Taxable amount was blank and the Distribution Code was "T". What is my tax liability on this.

Thank You, XXXXX

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,

Robin D :

Please accept my condolences on losing your son. The taxable amount will be whatever amount in the IRA your son did not pay tax on already. If he claimed a deduction on hos contributions each year on his tax return then the taxable amount will be the same as the total distribution.

Robin D :

The Code T means this was a Roth IRA.

Robin D :

If your son met the 5 year holding period the taxable amount will be $0

Robin D :

You will need to know when he opened the Roth IRA.


Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX had this IRA well over 5 years. That is probably why the box 2a was left blank on the 1099R

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you