Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Hello, according to the USPS website, first class mail should

Hello, according to the USPS website, first class mail should take 2-3 days to arrive. However, the IRS won't take any action regarding an inquiry for a replacement check until 28 days has passed. Why is that?
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. The reason that the IRS will not take action for 28 days is because that is their internal processing time. It has nothing to do with how fast something is delivered by the USPS. It has everything to do with the red tape and bureaucracy within the IRS itself.

I know this is inconvenient. When you are dealing with the IRS, nothing is resolved quickly. It often takes more than one request for action. Having a tax professional handle your issue is usually the quickest way to get things resolved, as they know all the proper channels to address.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not to be construed as financial or legal advice. Please contact a local tax professional, and do not rely on this assessment to avoid penalties or to make financial decisions. This is for informational purposes only**
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the prompt response. So if someone thinks that their check was stolen, would they still have to wait 28 days to contact the IRS? Isn't that counterproductive?

You should call the IRS as soon as you think your check is stolen, but don't hold your breath about them doing anything quickly. You might luck out and get an agent that truly cares and that will work with you in your situation, but then again you might get someone who sticks by the 28 day rule. I know this makes little sense, but it is the government.

If it is stolen, and cashed by someone else, the IRS will still work with you and get you your refund.

I wish you the best of luck.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO XXXXX UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not to be construed as financial or legal advice. Please contact a local tax professional, and do not rely on this assessment to avoid penalties or to make financial decisions. This is for informational purposes only**

Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer