Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Im trying to file my tax and Im confused to the state to file

Im trying to file my...
Im trying to file my tax and I'm confused to the state to file it with. I started working in DC last year but lived in FL. My W2 was sent to my FL address since that was my primary address last year. We decided to move to MD for good late last year but HR has my FL address till I changed it to my MD one last February. How do I go about this?
3/1/2013
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
When you file the MD return you will list yourself as part year resident with the date you moved.

Robin D :

When you live in Maryland and work in Washington, D.C., Pennsylvania, Virginia or West Virginia you should file your state income tax return with Maryland.

Robin D :

Up till the time you moved you were a nonresident but still taxed in DC for your income, after you moved to Maryland you were a part year resident. You will file a part year Maryland and a Nonresident of DC. Your returns will be based on the time of your move.

Robin D :

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX HR dept has corrected your address now for 2013.

Robin D :

Please advise that you can view the answer/

Customer:

yes i can

Robin D :

Good

Robin D :

Did you have more questions about your residency?

Customer:

does it matter that my address for the whole year of last year was FL?

Robin D :

No, you will use your address to file of your present home.

Robin D :

Your address difference will be explained by the dtae syou enter on the returns

Robin D :

dtae* sorry date

Customer:

even if the house i own is FL and im just renting here?

Robin D :

Yes

Customer:

ok thanks

Robin D :

The home in Florida now is your second home for tax purposes

Robin D :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

If you could also participate in the very short survey that Just Answer will send you by e-mail I would appreciate that very much.

Customer:

no problem. Thanks again

Robin D :

You are most welcome

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4